Counseling and Wellness Program

Contact Us

Keith Meyer 
Counseling and Wellness Director

For additional information or to inquire about becoming a Counseling Provider call: 

Veterans Crisis Line 

Call 988 then press 1

VA Readjustment Counseling Service WA Vet Centers

Find a Counselor

  • Bellingham (360) 733-9226
  • Everett (425) 252-9701
  • Federal Way (253)838-3090
  • Seattle  (206) 658-4225
  • Spokane (509) 444-8387
  • Tacoma (253) 565-7038
  • Yakima (509) 457-2736
  • Walla Walla (509) 525-5200
  • Portland (503) 273-5370


FY 21-22


State Totals

807 Washington State Veterans have received counseling
77 Veteran family members have received counseling
1,276 hours of counseling services provided in counties in WA State (outside of King County)

King County Totals

93 King County Veterans have received counseling
34 King County Veteran family members have received counseling
2,535 hours of counseling services provided in King County

The Counseling and Wellness Program creates community-based avenues for mental health services to support the needs of veterans and families.

Services provided throughout the program include individual, couples, family, and group counseling for veterans and families. Some contractors offer group services specific to women veterans and spouses of veterans. Veterans may be referred to specialized inpatient or outpatient treatment offered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers or Vet Centers within Washington State.

Our licensed mental health professional contractors offer a wide range of specialized treatment services, as well as linkage to a variety of other services, offering the highest level of confidentiality possible.

Eligibility (all Counties except King)

1. These mental health services are not related to discharge status.

2. Washington State National Guard or Military Reserve members deployed in support of the nation’s war and peacekeeping missions, and their family members

3. Veterans and families need to demonstrate their mental health needs were impacted by military services.

4. No VA service connected disability for any condition is required for this service within the WDVA Counseling Program

5. Services are free to qualified veterans and families.

6. Priority is given to those most vulnerable or having no other reasonable options for care.

7. Call a counselor directly to make an appointment.  Find a Counselor

Eligibility in King County

Veterans, Military servicemembers and their families

 Definitions for these targeted populations are:

  1. Military servicemember: A person currently serving in a branch of the military, including the National Guard and reservists for any branch of the military.
  2. Veteran: A person who has served as either an active duty or a reservist member of the US Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, or Coast Guard; or a person who has served in the National Guard.
  3. Veteran Family: A veteran’s or military servicemember’s spouse, domestic partner or child, or the child of the spouse or domestic partner, or other dependent relatives if living in the household of a veteran or military servicemember.

Seeking clinicians in King County

The Washington Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) War Trauma Program seeks clinicians who are proficient and competent in military and veteran culture, are licensed, trauma-informed, mental health clinicians and able to provide professional counseling services to Veterans and their families. We seek mental behavioral health clinicians whose practices are located north of Seattle and within King County, South of Seattle within South King County, and on the Eastside. Interested clinicians can provide a letter detailing why they would like to become a WDVA provider and their interest in serving Veterans and their families. Veterans and family members of veterans are encouraged to respond. Please address the letter to  Director, Counseling and Wellness Programs, 1102 Quince St. SE, Olympia, WA  98504-1155.

Services to Higher Education

The Counseling Program provides in-service training and consultation to college and university counseling and other professional staff, and faculty members. This special program is designed to address the mental health needs of veterans who have returned to school after discharge from the military, and who seek assistance at student counseling centers on campus. Along with expert help with counseling methods, military and veteran cultural awareness training, providers are given instruction in how to use the sometimes complex services network available to war veterans and their family members. University and college counselors are encouraged to call the PTSD Program Director for more information.

Maps of PTSD Counseling Sites

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Counseling and Wellness Program?

The  program provides no cost, clinical, out-patient confidential counseling. Our services are different than those offered at the Federal VA. 

Who is qualified to access counseling services?

Veterans who have been impacted by their military service qualify for counseling services. National Guard and reservists also qualify for services, and family members can also be seen through the program as long as the issue is military-related.


Note: King County Residents - To be eligible for services or resources, you must be a veteran (served at least one day in the military, any discharge type), service member, or respective family member living in King County.

How do I find a Counselor?

On the WDVA website you will see a link to PTSD Counselors and find the Counseling and Wellness Counselor Directory. You can search for a counselor by county. You can also email for assistance.

Who are the Counselors?

Counselors in the program are licensed mental health professionals who have graduate level training in a counseling-related field and are licensed to practice in the state of Washington. Some of the providers are veterans or family members of veterans. All providers are military and veteran culturally competent.

How do I schedule an appointment with a Counselor?

Call the counselor and leave your contact information. Call the provider at the number located in the directory. Feel free to ask questions of the counselor, learn about their practice and what services they provide.

What documents are required to qualify for services? 

At your first session you will be required to present a copy of the veterans DD Form 214 or NG Form 22. If you are in a domestic violence situation and cannot obtain a copy of the veterans DD Form 214 then your counselor will work with you to provide a statement.

Are counseling sessions confidential?

Counseling sessions are private and confidential between you and the counselor.

What information is being released to the WDVA?

A client intake form which contains demographic information and an outcome questionnaire. Both forms are anonymous.

Am I responsible for any costs?

The Washington Department of Veterans Affairs, Counseling Program covers the cost of your counseling sessions. If you are a resident of King County, counseling services are covered through the King County Seniors, Veterans and Human Services Levy.

PTSD Training and Education Opportunities

  • PTSD Training Website – Veteran Training Service Center (VTSC) Educational training opportunities prepared by educators, authors, treatment professionals, veterans, and trainers with specialty skills in assessment and treatment of PTSD, TBI and a range of military and veterans related trauma and homecoming concerns.  If your King County organization or business is in need of this type of training, visit VTSC
  • About Face Website - Learn about posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) from Veterans who live with it every day. Hear their stories. Find out how treatment turned their lives around.